The speaker Commander Jorge Morais Chumbo was part of the previous event. To review the most recent speakers list, click here.
Commander Jorge Morais Chumbo
Plans and Policy Division
- The Portuguese Navy’s ongoing OPV project. Developing patrol vessel capability as a satisfactory replacement for the corvette
- Integrating the OPV to enable the execution of multiple maritime security operations. Sustaining sufficient baseline capability for each mission set
- Sustaining the OPV on operation to support a continuous patrol capability
- Effectively integrating unmanned systems to improve the range of patrol
4:30 PM CLOSING Q&A: A BLUEPRINT FOR THE FUTURE – DESIGNING AND BUILDING THE NEXT GENERATION OF OPVS
- Is the current OPV blueprint fit for purpose in the context of an evolving maritime security environment? Should the capabilities of the next generation of OPVs be adapted to ensure they can better enable the future fighting force?
- Addressing the question of modularity. Is a truly multi-mission platform conceivable, or must versatility always create a compromise on capability for the OPV operator?
- What are the limits of the OPV in terms of capability and survivability? When is an OPV too capable to be described as an OPV?
- Limiting vessel down-time and supporting continuous operation by enhancing the approach to maintenance. Moving beyond planned maintenance and towards a point-of-need approach to patrol vessel MRO