Rear Admiral (Retd.) Bruce Williams (RN)
Offshore Patrol Vessels International 2018
10:15 AM CLOSING Q&A: WHERE DOES THE OPV SIT WITHIN A GLOBAL APPROACH TO MARITIME SECURITY ENFORCEMENT?
- How should the future threat context be characterised for the maritime domain? Does the threat of high-intensity operations necessitate a fresh approach to maritime security strategy and capability development?
- Does the sheer volume of maritime security missions challenge the concept of a multi-mission OPV?
- How can regional information sharing initiatives be improved to support multi-national approaches to maritime security enforcement?
4:30 PM CLOSING Q&A: A BLUEPRINT FOR THE FUTURE – DESIGNING AND BUILDING THE NEXT GENERATION OF OPVS
- Is the current OPV blueprint fit for purpose in the context of an evolving maritime security environment? Should the capabilities of the next generation of OPVs be adapted to ensure they can better enable the future fighting force?
- Addressing the question of modularity. Is a truly multi-mission platform conceivable, or must versatility always create a compromise on capability for the OPV operator?
- What are the limits of the OPV in terms of capability and survivability? When is an OPV too capable to be described as an OPV?
- Limiting vessel down-time and supporting continuous operation by enhancing the approach to maintenance. Moving beyond planned maintenance and towards a point-of-need approach to patrol vessel MRO
- Assessing the OPV’s viability as a capability within the current threat context. How can the platform serve as an effective force multiplier for the fleet?
- Leveraging the situational awareness and C2 capabilities of the OPV to support more rapid detection and response
- What level of survivability does the OPV need to attain if it is to be deployed to a more complex operating environment?
- Better networking the OPV in the context of joint operations
- Is there really a supporting role for the OPV in the warfighting context?
- Should enhanced survivability be an integral feature of the next generation of OPVs?
- Does the future OPV need to be more heavily armed if it is to support intelligence-gathering from the backline?
- How much offensive capability is too much? The OPV as a credible deterrent